View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #17
Tweetdriver63

Garage
Piggy backing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Just a clarification when it comes to "compatibility". What Woody is talking about is if you just want to get a car running, not have remote functionality, etc. The connectors are the same and the pinout are close enough that it will start and windows and locks should work.

If you want the cheapest way to get a car with a key or two working properly, buy a good used immo/alarm module of the same part number and get the data transferred from your damaged module to the replacement. Then everything will work as original and your car will still be the same VIN as far as electronics are concerned if you need to program the DME, add keys, etc.

So, just know that if you swap the DME, immo/alarm and keys, as far as Porsche's database is concerned, you have changed the car's identity from your car to that of the VIN of the car you got the modules from. Some people don't care, some do. I know firsthand that if someone buys a car that this was done on, and tries to add a key or remote they will get quite angry when they find out what it will take to get things straightened out again. The guy wanted it "right" so he had to buy a new lock set, immo/alarm and new remotes and pay to have it all installed and programmed. Note that was a 911 C4 Cab, but the parts, prices and procedures are all the same.
I am trying to figure out what to do with my car right now. For the second time, I have an immobilizer that went swimming. (Last year, Porsche Chattanooga fixed it, but I don't think they did a good job dealing with the source of the water, so here I am again!-- When you water test the drains, the water comes out on the ground underneath, but some of it is also coming out in the floor. I think the Porsche guys just cleaned the drain, then saw that the water came out under the car and called it a day.)

Anyway, I'm at the point where it's either send my set off the ECU Doctors for a grand+, or to the dealer -- a different one this time.

Can anybody tell me why ecu doctors charge $200 more for the immobilizer 996.618.262.03 than they do for the 996.618.262.01 immobilizer? As I understand it, the .03 part number is a replacement for the .01 part number. (My original immob had the .01 number, but I'll have to check what I currently have, since I guess it's possible Porsche Chattanooga put in a .03 immob last year.)

Also, advice. Harper Porsche in Knoxville says $723 for a new immobilizer, plus $150 for programming, but they also say I'll have to buy at least one new key (with labor, about $1200 total). Why would I have to buy any new keys? I thought the new immob would be flashed for my car and my current keys would still work. Should I go with ecu doctors, Porsche Knoxville, or a third option? Obviously, I want to spend as little as possible, but I want everything to be like it's supposed to be.
Tweetdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote