Thread: dead battery
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 06:05 AM   #12
PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
Can you elaborate on that, how that's done on a 986?

I once had a 1986 944 Turbo with an electric hood release and an emergency manual cable, and when the battery died, nothing worked. It was a nightmare, and an expensive one, to put it mildly. I don't want that to ever happen again.
Assume you saw kk2002s' response? The emergency cable is in the passenger side headlight bucket as he said. The instructions to remove the headlight are in the owner's manual and the tool should be in the tool roll with the spare tire, but I find that a 1/4 inch deep 6 point socket on a ratchet with an extension works better. I forget the size but it is a small one. I did the re-routing of the cable when I had my front bumper cover off to clean out my radiators and ductwork. I don't know if it's necessary to have the front bumper cover off, but it certainly made it easy for me.

If you don't do HPDE's and don't use your tow hook often, you can put a little piece of string in the loop of the emergency release cable so it is right behind the plastic cover and easy to reach. If you do HPDE's you need to be able to screw the hook in, which will cut the string off, but it's not hard to fish through the hole for the tow hook and find the cable.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote