View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
jaykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, ever since elon borrowed my wind tunnel for something or other (space force? space x? can't remember) i've had to do what every other non-factory racer does with aero - copy, experiment, monitor track times.

so, aero for me is higher trim level front bumper cover and skirts (use factory aero design) and a rear spoiler. since my z-top gives me a very cayman roofline, probably just copy the factory again with a joe toth ducktail and a gt4 rear wing. add a gt3 front splitter and something for the rear - diffuser to manage airflow under the car and some vents to address the drag chute that is the rear bumper cover.

however, i can avoid all that by keeping btm aero and going to wider, stickier tires. not sure i agree with aero being more important on high speed tracks; aero can add drag when downforce is not needed (ie, fast straights) and, while our local track is slow-ish and technical, tt guys are taking off seconds with good aero. but i still am thinking tires first; see how i do in st3 and add aero/hp/ lightness in a few years and move to st2 - keeps the $ inputs incremental.
In my non expert opinion tight technical tracks (look at speeds in corners vs perceived aero effectiveness) will mean superior contact patch and control there of will yield more value than aero guess work. Get a good set up for some beefy sticky tires.....again just an opinion. You have to ask how many high speed sweepers will I have?