View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #30
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The coil pack sits 1" proud of the head?
That would not be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
You really should get that out of there. As mentioned, having the coil pack stick out an inch is not a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
… whatever that is, it is not correct and does not belong there. The next question is what do you intend to do about it?
It would seem that I am somewhat cautious about how to handle this anomaly.
My analysis is:
1) the engine ran well as it is.
2) someone made a conscious decision to install the extension for a reason… that I have no way of understanding.
3) simply removing the extension would, I assume, bring me back to the problem that lead to the installation of the extension.
4) so why do anything? At the very best removing the extension could lead to the engine running well… which it does now, but, at worst, it could lead to a problem that means removal of the engine for repair of the original problem.

Here is my latest take on the situation…
I doubt that the original problem was plug fouling, simply because there is no visible evidence (oil or carbon in the extension or different colour of deposits on the spark plug). The only other reason I can think of is that someone damaged the threads in the spark plug hole and installed the extension (perhaps with JB weld or some-such) so that plugs could be changed without further deterioration of the original threads. Remember that this is in the cylinder that is the most difficult to access, so chances of cross-threading are maximized. If this is the case trying to remove the extension would mean having to remove the engine to fix the threads. Perhaps I am wrong, but who wants to take a chance? Not me.

The installation of the coil pack isn’t a problem, I will fabricate spacers so that the mounting screws aren’t putting pressure on the “ears” of the pack. But again there was no problem before.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote