View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #22
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Could be that that the previous owner installed a 'spark plug extension'..? those things where used to keep the spark plug from getting fouled with excess oil (when a particular cylinder was burning an exesive amount of oil), perhaps one of the old gear heads here remembers them..

If I remember correctly, you were supposed to thread them on the spark plug threads, then you bolt the spark plug on top of it .

EDIT: If you install a plug back on this cylinder and measure the distance (depth) from the tip of the plug to the valve cover, and then do it again with another cylinder you can see if the plug on this particular cylinder sticks out further than the other plugs, then you have an extension..
We have a winner! As suggested I measured the distance to the top of the plug in cylinder 1 and in cylinder 5 and there is an inch difference. Here is a link where you can see some extensions.
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/spark-plug-non-fouler
Why was it installed? No idea... but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I might mention that I paid $5,000 for this Boxster, so I plan to enjoy it rather than find unnecessary work to do on it.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote