View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
paulofto
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Up until I purchased my 2003 S in 2014 I hadn't really done any DIY on any of my vehicles since I owned my 1978 Fiat X 1/9 which I sold in 1985. I did all the work on that car including clutch, brakes, induction, exhaust etc. It was an amazingly easy vehicle to work on and being in my late 20's to early 30's I was flexible enough to do the work.

Flash forward to 2014. I just turned 60 and bought myself my retirement gift, an '03 S. Other than having the IMS, clutch, fly wheel and RMS done by a local indie, I have found that this is a great vehicle to DIY. I have done brakes (SS lines, pads & fluid), spark plugs, manual transmission oil, coolant flush, radiator replacement, MAF cleaning, throttle body cleaning, accessory belt, A/C expansion valve, oil and filter change, new battery, sway bar bushings and all four trunk supports all on my own with a high rise lift, some specialized tools and basic tools.

My advise is don't let the mid engine placement deter you from doing much of the routine maintenance or some more complex work yourself. Parts can be expensive but shop around on the net and on this forum for deals. Woody (itsnotanova) is a great source for used parts and places like Rock Auto have a great cross section of specific parts on hand. And you would be surprised at how reasonable some items can be from the Porsche dealers themselves.

Sorry for the long winded diatribe but for me part of the joy of owning a sports car is the satisfaction of really getting to know your car and the best way to do that is doing the maintenance yourself.

have fun driving and working on your Boxster
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote