View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
Geof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
I will preface this with saying that I'm not a great mechanic, but I try to do the best I can and keep the Boxster in great condition myself.

Reposting an old thread because I was a bit frustrated with the info on the internet / youtube on the subject of flushing / changing the Boxster power steering fluid. First, I do not understand why this is not covered properly in the service manual. Surely after many years one should change this fluid, but the procedure is lacking. Second, the reservoir tank on the top of the engine is not conducive to doing a multiple flush where you remove most of the ps fluid, replace new, then remove again, replace new a few times, etc... Probably because this is mid-engine design? There is virtually no fluid in the reservoir to remove or check. Perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to the Porsche.

Anyways, every post like this one says it is so simple. I had no problem removing the undercover as described here -- it sits under the car just below the driver's seat. BTW, thank you for the picture & description below. Breaking the return pressure line was a bit confusing. Eventually I was able to do it with 2 19mm wrenches, but I never fully separated the line -- I was nervous about damaging the innards or perhaps not getting it back together. Loosened, let it drain, turned the wheel back & forth, & when fluid went to drips after many back & forths, I retightened, opened the top to service condition, removed engine cover, and filled slowly through the reservoir until the reservoir was really full - almost overflowing. Turned the wheel multiple times to remove air, refilled, started up, turned wheel back & forth, filled very slowly checking tiny dipstick multiple times. When I felt it was right, took it for a test drive - all good. Retested dipstick, didn't need to add a drop, no leaks, I think it is good.

First time through, but I'm thinking this should have been easier. Normal car = turkey baster, remove fluid from reservoir & add -- cycle repeat a few times done. Sorry for the rant, but I'm thinking Porsche missed something here.... Hope this helps someone else do this maintenance.
It is the reality of a mid/rear engined car. Everything fluid has to run to the front front of the car, mostly for cooling, but in the PS case simple reality of design. Because the sheer volume is so high in the overall system, a large tank isn’t required. The tank is almost more of an over flow tank than an actual reservoir. But, I get your point. Somethings are just a little more complicated with rearward engines.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote