View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
Ottomotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You only mention the SAI pump running after cold start. The SAI pump runs twice after cold start. It runs as you noted AND it runs again at first idle period, which could be at first stop light, it will run for ~5 seconds. The second run is a system check. It is looking for a lean response from the 02 sensors. So if your changeover valve is not opening it will fail.

Also, about codes. OBDII codes are emission (pollution) related such as Fuel injectors,misfire, cats etc. while the SAI brings cats to temp quicker to reduce pollution at startup , it is not an emission device per se, and does not set a code.
Woke up early this morning. Made some coffee, grabbed my PC, stop watch/phone and headed out the door trying to take advantage of light traffic on a sunday morning.
I followed the prescription for the drive cycle as close as possible and hit it as close to perfect as I could have. Hit all the signals green, made my right turn to get on the hwy from the left turn lane...across three lanes so as to flatten out the apex so I could maintain 40mph speed. Never went over 29mph for the first phase, never went over 59mph for the second phase...idled in drive for 5 min at the end of the cycle....

Still in FAIL for SAI
I listened for the second operation of the SAI pump during the 5 minute idle and never heard the pump come on. Perhaps 911monty is on to something?

I can not activate the SAI pump with the Durametric while the engine is running (assume thats normal?)....but can with engine off.
I can activate the Electrical Switchover Valve for the SAI pump with the durametric with engine off. The first activation lets out a 'groan' (valve opening thanks to stored vacuum?) and then some faint clicks that become quieter and eventually inaudible after a few seconds (assuming it is due to the lack of vacuum from a running engine).
Activating the valve while the SAI pump is running for its test results in the SAI pump turning off. Not sure if thats normal.
Finally, the relay for the SAI pump clicks when the pump is activated...but not just one click on, one click off...instead it is rapid fire clicks while the SAI pump is running. Not sure if that is normal.
Maybe some thoughts on this latest round will yield some direction to head next...thanks in advance...
I am at 1200 miles since my install with SAI still in FAIL.
:ah:

2003 Boxster S
1939 Ford DeLuxe Coupe w/392 Hemi
1984 Suby Vanagon Westfalia

Last edited by Ottomotion; 02-17-2019 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote