View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
insite

Weird Rumble from the Rear.....

Well, this is odd. From the right rear of my car, i get a distinct, deep rumble (both sound and vibration) when i corner hard in either direction. It happens at a lower threshold when i turn left. At first, i thought my tire was rubbing on something when the suspension compressed, but i looked for evidence of tire contact and cannot find any.

It seems to me that the only things that could potentially cause this are a bad wheel bearing or cv joint. I've never had a wheel bearing go bad and NOT make noise while driving straight, so i'm not sure if this is the culprit; there's no issue when driving straight or cornering leisurely. The sound / vibration is VERY similar to that of a front wheel drive car in mid turn with a bad CV joint. I visually inspected the boot; it's in good shape. It seems strange to me that there would be enough deflection in the rear suspension to move the CV joint past its 'normal' working angle.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or ideas? Also, i have found INNER CV joint kits for the Boxster. Is there an outer kit available? Thanks for the help.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote