View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
husker boxster

Not much earth shattering additions to what others have already stated, just will expand a bit.

My LE is my fair weather, spring to fall garage queen. My CSS is my winter beater / DE car. In a lot of ways, my CSS is in better condition than my LE b/c I'm constantly making sure she's ready for the next event. Things like brake pads, brake fluid, tire wear, shorter oil intervals, etc are some of the items that are monitored closer.

Rumor has it a tracked car will be less prone to IMS failure as the exercise in the upper RPM range helps keep the IMS lubricated. Ultra low mileage cars that have the grease washed out of the IMS depend on the oil to lubricate it and if it's sitting for long periods of time, the oil drips off the bearings and you're starting it dry. Once again, strictly theory and you can take it or leave it for how true it is. Don't want to turn this thread into another IMS battle.

An over-rev report is a must. There are 6 ranges on the 987. I'm not an expert but you'll get the majority of hits in range 1 & 2. Some in range 3 and 4 may appear, esp if it was a track car. Ranges 5 & 6 are not good (6 more so than 5). However, if some appear in 5 & 6, don't immediately discard the car. There have been instances where the report was actually not correct. You need to closely examine the data around all the numbers to see if these are false positives. For example, 15 hits in R6 but only 5 in R4. There is a lot of info on Planet-9 on how to read a 987 over-rev report.

Also, if constantly run up to redline, there might be issues with the rod bearings. Porsche did not use a high quality rod bolt in the 987. Lots of runs up to redline can stretch the rod bolts, allowing the bearings to slip. I shift at 6K rpm rather than running up to 7K to help reduce the stress. The over-rev report will give you an indication of how many times its bounced off the rev limiter.

Might want to see what the date is on the alignment. Track cars can wear out the LCA bushings which makes it harder to get them in proper alignment. Check the sheet to see if the final #s are spot on or barely 'within specs'.

And another item to check are wheel bearings. Constant gator runs can wear them out if the gators are severe. Simple test to determine their health. Just mention to the inspector to spend some time there.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote