View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #18
The Radium King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
My guesses are that the 12 points provide more gripping surface and more likely, that it speeds assembly with the automated and power tools used on the assembly line. The socket will engage the bolt that much faster if the most it has to turn is 1/12 of a turn to line up the socket and the bolt head. Doesn't sound like much but multiplied by the number of those bolts in the assembly and the number of assemblies made in a given time period it adds up.
it's like the fasteners on my car hauler trailer - on first look they are an 8-point and i was trying to figure out wtf i would do about that, until i realised that a robertson would fit perfect - designed for quicker assembly.

porsche does seem a little screwy with their fasteners. how many different fasteners used to hold a transmission on? and if you try to get a clutch off, why the heck did they use allan head fasteners that strip out immediately when torque applied (note to bootleg - not sure what the torques are on those internal fasteners, but choose carefully if torques are large or there is any opportunity for them to seize in place - heat, differing metal types)?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote