View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #130
tada
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
Sorry to revive my old thread, but I’m back to trying to get the 986 running. On advice from a mechanic, I changed out the camshaft position sensor on the offending bank that was not firing up. I then tried to drain my old fuel out of the tank by removing the fuel pump relay and jumpering it. I could get no fuel out of it. So then I checked my battery and found it to be 12.14V. The battery was still in warranty. So I got a new battery today and tried to fire it up. It’s turning over and trying to start, but just won’t catch. I jumpered the fuel pump relay again and listened for the pump with the ignition on. I heard nothing. Now as part of this project, I had earlier replaced the fuel pump and measured the fuel pressure in the fuel rail and it was fine. Hard to believe a fuel pump died without ever being run. I also checked the fuel pump fuse and it was good. When I try to crank the engine, the tach barely registers. I mean not even a tick and no real movement of the needle. Could it be the crankshaft position sensor? I don’t get much time to work on the 986 as I work out of town and am only home a day or two a month. So I didn’t have time this trip to check the fuel rail or spark to the plugs. Just looking for ideas. Thanks, Tom

Last edited by tada; 01-26-2019 at 02:53 PM.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote