View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
steved0x

Talk me into/out of a Cayman - thinking about making a change

I've had my 2000 S since 2012 and have put nearly 50,000 mostly trouble free miles on it (a single breakdown due to CPS sensor a few years back) and I have had a really fun journey learning to work on it, building it out for track work, etc..., but I am getting the itch to try something new. I've got my eye on getting a 2009-2012 987.2 Cayman. At first I thought about a PDK, but I am leaning to staying with a 6 speed. I wouldn't mind a base, and I think the sweet spot for price/performance might be a 2009 base although if a well priced S were to appear I would not be opposed.

Must have options:
  • Not a tan interior.

Really want:
  • Xenon light with active cornering (or whatever they call it)
  • Cruise control (maybe that is standard on the newer cars?)
  • Blue body, although that seems really rare. I would be happy with any color though.

Would be nice:
  • Sport seats
  • Sport chrono
  • PASM - but any suspension it comes with will probably get replaced in short order with some coilovers or a Bilstein pro-kit with eibach springs, so this isn't key

I just had a great weekend in my Boxster at Roebling Road, broke into the 1:25's for the first time and I am just over a second within the time that a pro coach drove my car there back in 2017, and I think that is a good way to go out on top.

The week before that I drove a Spec Boxster for the first time, what a rush. But it has got me thinking about moving forward. I am thinking about building out some sort of race car, or maybe joining an endurance racing team for some events, either in that same Spec Boxster, or I have a few other possible seats.

So the Cayman would be used for just driving around, and maybe taking to PCA HPDE events when I instruct.

Has anyone else had the same thoughts? Or is this going to be the one that got away when I look back in 2-3 years and am missing the Boxster?

Any thoughts about my must haves/wants on the option list? Or does anyone know of a sweet deal on a car for sale?

Thanks,

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote