View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
Need_for_speed

Update: Life so far with a 981, and does anyone else own a Macan?

I missed you guys! It's been a long time since I logged in here, but wanted to catch up on THStone's racing adventures (living vicariously). For those who are interested, I thought I'd give you an update on my 981S experience so far.
Back in September of 2018, I traded in my 2000 986 base for for a 2013 981S. I've put about 8k miles on it so far, and it has been a fantastic car. Love it to death. No serious maintenance issues to report. In fact, the only problem I experienced was related to the battery. Apparently, the PO installed a regular ol' Interstate battery at some point. I purchased the car with 4k miles, so clearly, the car spent lots of time sitting idle, and I have a feeling it sat without a maintainer. My guess is that AAA was likely called for a dead battery, and whatever the dude had on the truck got dropped into the car.
Believe it or not, the car passed the CPO inspection with this miscreant battery installed. I'll never figure that out. Anyway, when I took possession, I was told that the hood and trunk electric release module wasn't working. I would have to return it once the part arrived. Ok, no problem, expect that the module didn't fix the issue (head-slap!). They eventually discovered the rogue battery, and I let the service manager know how I felt. Moral of the story: don't trust that "thorough" CPO inspection. And never swap a regular battery for an AGM in these cars. It really causes some goofy issues.

One last thing -- any Macan owners out there? Wow, have we had some major issues with our 2017 Macan S. First a transfer case failure and then a head gasket leak. Be careful if you decide to buy one of these used. Make sure you have a warranty. Those were both pricey repairs. We love the car, but it's spent a lot of time in the shop...

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 01-14-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote