View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
stomachbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I guarantee you will learn a ton before your done.
That's the idea!
I've bought, sold, flipped, fixed about 30 cars now. And I've even started sending them off much better than how I got them.
At this point, I find something I like and hunt for a deal. I picked up a beater '00 Golf TDI in April, and done a lot tinkering on that. Engine in limp mode, trans in limp mode, worst brakes I've ever driven on, soggy interior, sagging headliner, non-working central locking, on and on. Now I drive it 500 mi/wk to school and back! My first exploration into diesels and turbos. The saving grace was 'low mileage' (140k), and had solid bones with a surprisingly mint body.
I've learned a lot, and not only do I find it personally enjoyable, but I realize I'm building extremely valuable skills for a lifetime of entrepreneurship as well as a career using my mechanical engineering degree.

I bought a couple other MK4 VWs as too-good-to-ignore deals popped up (or I sought out), and I was rather hooked. I found VW's way of doing things remarkably similar to BMW's way. A rather proper way of designing things, even if they may be overly-complicated and prone to failure. When it all works properly, it sure is nice to look at.
I then made the false assumption that these Pcars borrow all the VW systems, simply with a different drivetrain and body. I was quite wrong.
This is my first Porsche, first boxer engine, first convertible, and first rear/mid engined car. I think I'm doin' okay so far.

The battery is shot. And I'm just too irked to submit and buy a new one. $130 even at Costco...
What itches me is the battery is dated 7/17, and it has a 3 year warranty. And the guy who owned the car at that time is now in prison for possession of $65,000 worth of fentanyl!! ...found that out about 3 days ago.
I wonder if the penitentiary will let him send the receipt via snail mail. Maybe I can convince him it will help soften his sins.
stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote