View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #524
geraintthomas

Right. Time for an update I think?

Apologies for being so quiet, but I gave up on the car. It had been broken for such a long time (over a year now) that I'd just fallen out of love with it, and ended up buying a car cover, SORNing it and cancelling the insurance, and basically leaving it under a cover on the drive connected to a trickle charger so that I could forget about it until I could be bothered to think about it again. Which didn't turn out to be long.

Driving my little Fiesta TDCi around everywhere made me pine for the car. Not that the fiesta wasn't good (this thing cost me £500, does 75mpg and is bullet proof), but I completely took the Porsche for granted. It's one of those things which you don't realise how good it is until it's gone.

There were a few things I needed to do to the car to get it back on the road but I decided to get Christmas out of the way first, as it'll cost around £800 to get it going again (with doing all of the work myself).

The whole engine problem was previously fixed, but it still needs:

- Service

- Subframe replacement & four wheel alignment

- 2x rear tyres

- Alloy wheel refurb

- New battery

- New roof tension cables (the short clip-on ones)

- Mileage correction (remember I replaced the dials?)

Everything I'll be doing myself as it's all easy, just takes time. But, once it's done, it'll be back on the road.

I'm hoping to get it back on the road this month or early February. I've been starting the engine now and again to let it turn over for a while, but I've got two sticking lifters. It's just lack of use - a good run will loosen these up, it's happened before.

Going back briefly to the fiesta - what an amazing car. Fiesta mk6, TDCi, as basic as you can get (wind up windows, too!). But it costs £30 annual tax, cheap insurance, 75mpg, comfy, quiet and easy to drive. This will be my daily car too and from work, while the Porsche will now be a weekend and fun car, rather than my daily. Didn't realise how much fuel I was spending before...

That's pretty much where I'm at. The car is now back in the middle of my drive with the cover off so I can work on it. It's currently jacked up with no front wheels (I'm Nitromorsing the wheels at the moment). Another beauty of having another daily - I can spend time on this and not rush.

But yeah, I'll update you as I go. I'll be back on here now!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote