View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 AM   #149
cnavarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Hahaha.... BINGO! Right on, JFP.

I love telling people this in my business.

"Oh, you think an electrician should cost only $45/hr? Ok.... i'll pay YOU $45/hr to do it. But first: here's where you can sign up for the 4 years of trade school. Oh, and here's the tool list you'll need. You'll need a truck to put your tools and materials in. Oh, and remember that you'll need to do your continuing education courses each year to keep your license current. Then there's the cost of health insurance, the 401k match, the vacation time, etc. Oh, and state and federal taxes, liability insurance,..... etc "

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
No different than those saying we overcharge for the parts we manufacture. Shops need to make their margin as do the wholesalers. Most shops make more money on parts than on labor and many shops have told me they operate on less than 10% margin. That's why we've seen so many shops fold up in the last few years.

I have a shop as well and overhead for that side of the business is in the $80-85/hr. That's the bare minimum an hour I have to charge to keep the lights on. Once the new Governor passes additional taxes in IL, health insurance goes up (again), I'm sure that number will rise. That doesn't take into consideration actually making money.

Shops in the Chicagoland area charge upwards of $200 an hour.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote