View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #19
MWS

Normally I'm a big proponent of knowledge (history, data, specs, etc)... but on occasion, the availability of such info can *sometimes* be a bad thing as they relate to our decision processes. Regarding car backgrounds, the internet now offers more than a wealth of information, unfortunately not all incidents are a "red flag, run away!", and even worse, many times the same "red flags" are not even listed. Given the selective reporting, I suppose it would be wise to weigh all info rather than passing on a car that has a report listed...but having said that, I've done the "accident damage? I'll pass" thing in the past. Now here's where I'll say something controversial...

Accident damage possibly could (or should) increase value....well, on occasion.

As an example... We have an Audi Q5 and about a year ago my wife was involved in a minor accident; at a stoplight, the person in front of her decided they were too far in the intersection and suddenly backed up. On first inspection, it appeared that their bumper only broke the plastic surround around the fog light and caused a minor scrape on the bumper. At the body shop, they found the bumper cover was actually slightly cracked, as well as a few plastic tabs holding the grill. Further inspection showed that a tab on the headlight assembly was broken, as well as a few other plastic clips here and there, as well as (for some reason) a very slight misalignment of the hood.

(This part is only my impression of how *some* body shops work as well as how the whole claim/insurance/adjustment dance happens.) Some shops (I suppose thinking that an adjuster will trim amounts) will write a "pie-in-the-sky" estimate, which would include replacement of anything that they think might be damaged, and in the end, the adjuster approves a smaller amount...or at least that's how I've normally experienced the process...but in this case, the adjuster (for whatever reason) approved the ENTIRE list of what could be done. Maybe it was because a commercial vehicle was involved and that company just approves anything, or maybe, or maybe....

In any event, we ended up with an almost new front end, or at least in appearance. New bumper, grill, fog lights, headlights, hood and a re-spray of everything forward of the A-pillar. Again, there was NO structural or mechanical damage, just cosmetic and a few components, and all parts used were genuine Audi. I failed to mention that our Q5 is a 2010 with (then) about 80,000 miles.

As a result, our car now appears factory new and even has new headlights. Will "accident damage" appear in a report? I suppose. Will it present better than any other 2010 Q5? Definitely. Would a buyer be wary of the "red flag"? Maybe, but if so, will be missing out on a really nice car.

Is it for sale? Nope. Maybe before the repairs, but now it just looks too darn nice.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote