View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Actually, I find an oil temp guage to be much more informative than the coolant temp.

The Covette C5 and 6 has one and it is not a fake out, ie it reads temps by degree and changes pretty quickly.

Using that I have found that the oil temp will usually run about 10 degrees hotter than the coolant, UNLESS you are flogging it. In that case, the oil can get REALLY hot.

If i were tracking my Porsche in the CA heat, I would be running Red Line oil or M1 15W-50, both of which are more shear resistent than the M1 0W-40 oil.

Also, if I were doing a lot of tracking, I would likely get larger oil coolers.
Hi,

Excellent points. Your Oil is actually responsible for carrying away 60% of the heat produced by the engine, while the Coolant removes 35% and Airflow around the motor accounts for the other 5%. And, while the Coolant flows around the engine, it's the Oil which removes the more critical heat from the Journals, Big-Ends, and such where the Coolant does not flow. This surprises most people.

And don't forget the importance the Sparkplugs play in managing heat by carrying heat out of the Combustion Chamber to the Head where it is extracted by both the Coolant and the Oil flowing through it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote