View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #30
cartagena

My first car was a 1974 Challenger that I bought when I was 14 to "restore". By restore I mean I had no money and no clue what I was doing but the car only cost me $100 and at the time it was 12 years old. Floor panels were all rusted out so I replaced them with sheets of metal. Quarter panels were replaced with cheap fiberglass replacements since I could not weld good enough to put on metal ones. I also replaced the front fenders with cheap fiberglass replacements. I spent two years working on that piece of **************** so I would have a car when I turned 16 which is the legal age to drive where I was. Over those two years I taught myself how to weld a little, how to do bodywork, how to remove and engine, etc. I painted it bright orange and put on the necessary spoiler and black stripes.

I know how people like to reminisce about the "good ol' days" but I hated that piece of crap. It got me girls so I thought it was great at the time. But the thing broke down more often then I changed my underwear. I learned how to "push" a car far more than I ever wanted to. When it got up to 100 miles an hour it floated all over the road. Corners? haha....not at any speed. And I do not even want to talk about driving it to school in the snow during winter. I am just lucky I did not kill myself and the 6 losers who were always piled in it since only I had a car.

The Porsche though, now that is a different story......