View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
Tommy2
Hi guys, I posted a reply but don't see it. Let's try again. Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it!

Shipping to Japan can be quite expensive and yes Suncoast does ship. I have several orders with them. Parts on the whole are about 4x more expensive here so even with shipping and taxes it's best to order from the US, sometimes the UK and sometimes Germany. Fortunately, there is a large selection of used parts here that can be quite reasonable.

Anyway, upon closer inspection, the short shifter may not be a cheapo as I though. It is stamped with a "P" on one end and the numbers 09/03 0003 on the other and is anodized a dark brown or maroon.

I didn't have much time to inspect, but I did check a few things out. I can manually move the linkage at the back of the gearbox fairly easily. No binding and consistent resistance. Cable ends and such all look fine and are free. When disconnected back there the shifter works great. Likewise when they are disconnected at the lever. When both ends are disconnected, the cables seem unrestricted as well. Hook everything back up and back to hard shifting. I'll note that I have no idea if the cables are properly adjusted and I don't have an alignment tool. Any ideas to adjust without it?

So that seems to narrow it down to an adjustment at least. I don't know if/when the gearbox oil was serviced. I know it can't hurt, but can changing the oil smooth things out? Again, the hard shifting happens regardless of temperature and/or if the car is moving and the clutch itself feels great.

I still may go back to a stock shifter setup, but after this is sorted out.
Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote