View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I don't mind a good debate ! and I don't mind throwing a little gasoline on the fire, but since the owner's manual was brought in to the discussion...consider the break-in hints from the 987 owner's manual (page 14):

The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche. Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, it cannot be completely avoided that the moving parts have to wear in with each other. This wearin-in occurs mainly in the first 2,000 miles/3,000km.

Therefore:

* Preferably take longer trips.

* Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.

* Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers.

One could speculate....and I emphasize speculate, that there is some merit to the theory brought forth by z12358 leading Porsche to "edit" their break-in hints with the two new bullet points (incidentally number 1 and number 2).

In general, although I'm not saying this is the source of RMS, I think people tend to underestimate the contribution of driving style/characteristics and usage history in the development of vehicle problems. I've seen too many abusive drivers (many abusing unwittingly) to think otherwise.
Hi,

As you say, one could speculate. But, neither of these references speak directly or indirectly to RMS or any other seal for that matter, so I fail to see any merit to z12358's post here at all.

I do agree that frequent short trips are bad for any car, not just those which experienced under 1,000 miles of use. But, not for the sake of a rubber seal, rather, that Oil cannot come up to temp and that internal metal parts have not fully expanded and therefore seated against one another properly, that valves have not reached operating temp and can therefore Carbon up much more, ancillary bearings, wheel bearings don't properly distribute their grease which may have settled, etc. The low-mileage car which the little old lady only drove 2 miles to church in on Sunday is gonna need much more maintenance than a same year model with normal mileage.

But, back on point, why is it then OK to do this after 1,000 miles of break-in? The characteristics of the Steel Crankshaft or those of the Butyl Rubber seal do not change after only 1,000 miles. In fact, it is exactly this stability which led to these materials being selected for their intended purpose in the 1st place - that they will give many cycles of use, under a wide array of conditions, without changing their characteristics.

Sorry, nope, I'm not buying into any of this VooDoo stuff. Next, we'll be putting our Tops in their Service positions and hiring Shamans (think what a Porsche qualified Shaman is gonna cost?) to wave Chicken Bones around the engine compartment...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-20-2006 at 09:27 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote