View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I assume you have the basic stereo (not sound plus or Bose?). If so, then I can understand your choice of words in the subject line. However, I think there has to be a level of acceptance that the Box just doesn't make a good sound studio.

I've gone from the basic stereo in my 987 base (which I actually thought sounded OK with the top-up) to the Bose in the S and subjectively, there's improvement, but objectively speaking, not so much. Top-up, the sound of the engine seriously compromises sound quality (noticeably louder in the base than S) and top-down, the wind turbulence is the worse of the four convertibles I've owned.

The Reus devotees on the board may disagree, but to a certain extent, I think that trying to achieve great tunage in the Box is an exercise in futility, only made more difficult by your geographic location. I wish Porsche would put headrest speakers in the 987, but it also sounds like your objective is as much "waking the neighbors" as it is "optimal sound quality".

The point being, I'd hate to see you spend alot of money upgrading your stereo, only to find the upgrade compromised by drawbacks of the car's setup. For example the Bose, which represents an upgrade (of debatable worth), isn't really enough to overcome those drawbacks.
Hi,

You took the words out of my mouth, I agree with everything you say. Not to diss the Reus guys, if they're happy, even if they think it sounds better, it's their car, their money.

But, as mentioned, no car makes a good accoustic stage, especially a convertible.

I'd much rather take the $5k and drop it in my Home System, it seems there's always a new gizmo to add. But again, that's me...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote