View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"But since no one can prove it (because it just isn't so), it shouldn't be presented as a possible cause. Where's the critical thought? This is how Urban Myth happens. Maybe the Salesman was just being a Salesman, ever think of that?"

Short drives were suggested as just ONE POSSIBLE factor contributing to the increased chances for RMS. They were not suggested as the ONLY sure (proven) factor.

What critical thought did you use to conclude that in no way possible would short drives affect the chances of an RMS? In absence of a scientific statistical analysis of the data and a proof, all we're left with is the explanation and the reasoning behind the suggestion ("green men on Mars"). The explanation made sense to me. You know much more than I do about cars and it didn't make sense to you, and I respect that. Still, even if avoiding short drives (during break-in) decreased the chances of an RMS by 5%, to me it would stil be a worthwhile "sacrifice".

I repeat, I do agree that the RMS should not happen at the rates it has been happening, so let's not go there again.
Hi,

What critical thought did you use to conclude that in no way possible would short drives affect the chances of an RMS?

Well, I have replaced maybe 20-25 Crank Seals in my life of all manner, size and material. I have a degree in Materials Science (so I know the characteristics of the materials involved). And, I have discussed the RMS issue at length with Porsche certified mechanics, a PCNA Service Rep, Dealers, and an engineer from Porsche AG who was a Guest Speaker at a Tech Session I attended.

I'm not looking for a debate, but consider this:
  • Break In Hints for the first 1,000 miles/1,600 kilometers

There are no specific break in rules for your Porsche. However, by taking a few precautions you can help extend the service life and performance of your engine.

During the first 1,000 miles/1,600 km, all working components of the engine adjust to each other to a certain degree. Therefore: Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops. Change speeds frequently. Vary the throttle position to change the engine load.

Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm (revolutions per minute).

Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.

Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range).

There may be slight stiffness in the steering, gear-shifting or other controls during the break-in period which will gradually disappear.

Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies all the time, not just during the break-in period.

Break in brake pads

New brake pads have to be "broken in", and therefore only attain optimal friction when the car has covered several hundred miles or km. The slightly reduced braking ability must be compensated for by pressing the brake pedal harder. This also applies whenever the brake pads are replaced.

New tires

New tires do not have maximum traction. They tend to be slippery. Break in new tires by driving at moderate speeds during the first 60 to 120 miles/100 to 200 km, and longer braking distances must be anticipated.

Engine oil consumption

During the break-in period oil consumption may be higher than normal.

As always, the rate of oil consumption depends on the quality and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine is operated, the climate, road conditions as well as the amount of dilution and oxidation of the lubricant.

Check engine oil level, add if necessary. Make a habit of checking engine oil with every fuel filling.

This is the entire text from my Owners Manual regarding a Break-in period, and Porsche only offers them as hints. Nowhere does it say a thing about frequent short length trips, RMS failure, or ways which it can be avoided. It says nothing, not to avoid short trips, not to limit them, it simply says Nada, Rien, Nichts, 何も, Non niente, Niets, Ничто, 沒什麼東西, NOTHING !

So an Owner isn't failing to follow the Break-in hints by making frequent short trips, because the break-in procedure doesn't even mention them at all, in any way. They can't be faulted for failing to follow a procedure if no such procedure exists.

So, conclusion, this alleged salesman who told the guy, who told the guy, who told the guy, who posted it on the internet was talking through his hat! That, and the except from the Owners Manual, should be proof enough that such information is ill-posted to a forum like this where accuracy is helpful and anecdotal information can sometimes be wrong or even damaging.

But, to make a point, I believe in the proper breaking-in of a new car. I think it will give better performance and service over time, with lower maintenance and repair costs. This has always been my experience.

I just don't think that handling the car with Kid Gloves is going to make even the slightest dent in the incidence rate of premature RMS failure, this is not why they fail and it won't keep them from failing - period.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-20-2006 at 05:51 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote