View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Tommy2
Need Some Advice About Hard Shifting 986 Gearbox!

Hi Everyone, I just tentatively purchased a 2001 Boxster with about 55,000 miles and from the pictures it is amazingly clean and well cared for. I have had a 1997 that is a little beat up but mechanically sound and this 2001 may or may not be a replacement. I know my way around it pretty well, done my own maintenance and repairs for years and I can fix just about anything.

Here is the rub, I will need to do my own inspection as the car is in a remote location so no shop around to do a PPI. I am confident that I can spot most basic issues but the car has been reported to be hard to shift, but driving operations are otherwise normal. No slipping of the clutch etc. Owner has stated that the issue is the cables but who knows really? Could be a bad clutch after all. That's as much as we can get out of him and we will need to inspect the car on Saturday.

So what are some checks I can do to eliminate one thing or another? Visual and operational? What are some of the tell-tale signs of this or that? I'm willing to accept it iif it needs a clutch, but want to be sure.

Finally, the price is $5,300 and they buyer has agreed to let me back out of the deal should I find any major issues during the inspection. Color is Meridian Metallic, one you don't see around these parts.

Thank you all!!

Last edited by Tommy2; 12-03-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added color.
Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote