View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
z12358

"But since no one can prove it (because it just isn't so), it shouldn't be presented as a possible cause. Where's the critical thought? This is how Urban Myth happens. Maybe the Salesman was just being a Salesman, ever think of that?"

Short drives were suggested as just ONE POSSIBLE factor contributing to the increased chances for RMS. They were not suggested as the ONLY sure (proven) factor.

What critical thought did you use to conclude that in no way possible would short drives affect the chances of an RMS? In absence of a scientific statistical analysis of the data and a proof, all we're left with is the explanation and the reasoning behind the suggestion ("green men on Mars"). The explanation made sense to me. You know much more than I do about cars and it didn't make sense to you, and I respect that. Still, even if avoiding short drives (during break-in) decreased the chances of an RMS by 5%, to me it would stil be a worthwhile "sacrifice".

I repeat, I do agree that the RMS should not happen at the rates it has been happening, so let's not go there again.