View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I replaced my door bin lids with a set of painted ones because the lids kept on peeling because of sunscreen that got onto them. After making the dealer replace a set once, it happened again shortly after, so I decided to put this to bed by buying a set of arctic silver painted pocket covers. Dealer charges like $400 for the original set that has the thin layer of black rubber/plastic skin on it. I’ve had the painted covers on (paid $200 for them) for more than a year now, and they still look like brand new. No more worries of sunscreen damaging the plastic skin on the covers.

As for replacing them, that’s easy- no need to take off the entire door panel. Just lift the lid to the up position and use a large nail or paper clip to push the hinge pin in either direction a bit (at each hinge), and then use a needle-nosed plier to pull the pin out. Be careful with the spring that is connected to the rearward facing hinge, and disconnect if first from the hinge/lid before removing the lid. Then put it all back together the same way when installing the new lids. Takes 10 minutes tops to do both lids.

Here’s a pic where you can sorta see them:
http://i4.tinypic.com/10opw9g.jpg
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote