View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
BoxMann

Best Model Years To Buy?

Newbie here. Post #2.

I'm in the market for an early Boxster with low mileage (under 50k). Just a weekend fun car for 8 months a year. Probably won't drive it more than 2-3,000 miles a year. Definitely want an S. Hoping to spend under $15k. I've been doing some reading up and research and I'm generally familiar with the year-to-year changes. Also familiarized myself with the whole IMS issue.

But my question is this: considering the year-to-year changes and cost, are there certain years that tend to be more desireable than others? My initial conclusion was that MYs 2003 and 2004 were probably best. They have the glass rear window, glove box, more HP than earlier models, other enhancements, etc. Of course, the 2000-2004 models have the worst IMSB issue. But I can buy one where it's been changed, or for $3,000 I get the clutch/RMS/IMSB done, and it's problem solved.

The '97 - '99 are out since I want an S.

The early 987.1's might be an option too. Even though the IMSB is much less of an issue for those, it could still happen, and there's no preemptive fix.

I drove a 2002 Base with 80k, and wasn't too impressed. Just this past weekend I drove a 2006 S with 50k and liked it, but it was over my budget ($21k).

So again, considering cost and upgrades, which are the best MYs for me to target?

Thanks.

Last edited by BoxMann; 11-19-2018 at 05:32 PM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote