View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
RacebyDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Blake, thanks for posting your R&D question on this forum. I do not share Jim's opinion on this issue, and if you were trying to scam some free advertising, the ever-present and vigilant owners of the list would be all over you like white on rice.

I am a potential turbo/sc kit buyer. I'm leaning toward the SC kit put out by Imagine Auto but like the other poster stated, the noise that these bolt-on induction systems make is annoying at the very least, making me rethink the 3.4 liter engine upgrade path as well.
Randal:

I am a large fan of SC kits as well. I like the fact that you leave the exhaust side alone and dont have to tap the oil pan.

The idea of a turbo unit yields a possibly easier install/upgradability and that is why we are leaning in that direction.

Once we get some preliminary ideas of where this might be going from the rest of our designers, costs, etc we might sway in that direction. One of my questions is how universal our system will be with the other Porsche engines (eg: the 987 3.2 and those looking to do the 3.4 swap). If its a matter of clicking a different exhaust manifold and turbo size that would be very appealing.

I dont believe in putting together hobgoblin turbo kits and if we cant come to a concise vision I will probably push to R&D a Rotrex supercharger kit. Still using low psi, this centrifugal based supercharger is almost dead quiet with only a bit of a chirp from the relief valve between shifts. The nice thing is the self-contained lubrication system and the extreme efficiency chart. These are basically belt driven turbos that spin upwards of 250k rpm.

Still, I wont know until some of the math is done which option makes more sense from an engineering aspect.

Our co-designer is located in Calgary, Alberta. They have asked me a few times if I have a Boxster, or know of one that does to aid in the R&D work. I will check in at the end of the week as this progresses but if anyone is interested in this we can either pay outright or work a very generous donation program for the test subject (aka: nearly free boost).

I will update this as I get them.

My thanks to the Boxster community for at least the attention to the subject. I believe that even throwing ideas around is never in vain.

Keep waxing those S2000's in the meanwhile.

Sincerely,

Blake Erven
Race By Design

PS: I am serious about not generating a dime until I have paid well for the royalties for this and any forum I use.
RacebyDesign is offline   Reply With Quote