View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #19
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
The audi transmission Brad referring to is the O1E transmission. It's a beast of a transmission but not easily installed into a 986 that I know of. The O1E came in many cars but the Audi diesel sold in Europe is the one most kit car guys go after. It is the only 2wd version that will work in a mid-engine car. I've heard some people have been able to modify the 4wd version to make it 2wd. Same goes for the audi OA3 six speed.
As for the 987 vs 986 6 speed. The 987 is geared slightly lower, slightly lighter, $1000 more expensive and you'll have to modify the axles. I think you have to run 986 axles with 987 inner CV joints, but don't quote me on that. I'll ask a friend who has a 987 6 speed in his 986. From what I've seen on the track. I don't think it's worth the hassle as I don't see a difference between the two at the track.
I recommend installing a trans cooler if you haven't already. I was at Hallet a few weeks ago helping a friend with his 986 S. With the trans cooler the trans temp was around 225. A cooler line broke and the driver went around the track once before they realized what had happen. The trans had dumped all its fluid on the track! He brought it back and we had to disable the cooler. We put some new fluid in it and he continued for the last hour of the race for that day. With nothing to lose he raced for 7 hours the next day. The trans temp got as high as 305 but never missed a beat even without the cooler. My friend finished second behind a 3.4 cayman and ahead of a 986 with a 987 6 speed in it.
I had the 01E in my old S4 - while I'm sure it's stronger - it's got it's quirks too. I had that one rebuilt as well.......it grenaded while I was logging to find boost issues. LOL

They recommend the trans cooler on the 987 trans due to issues with overheating at the ring and pinion I remember reading. I'm wondering if that is a similar issue for the 986. I'll ask Bill Rader.

I've asked Bill if there are any upgrades I can do to the trans that will help with strength and or longevity and am awaiting an answer.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote