View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
Burg Boxster

Correct, NEVER too safe!

One thing I would NEVER use crawling under a car are those "lift bars". Have seen them in use and completely understand desired concept but no thanks. If one corner fails or pin slips out, the entire side has more likelihood of coming down. Better hope a jack stand catches somewhere on body and holds until whoever is under scoots out but if not. Separate and secure contact points are much safer in my opinion. /soapbox

Saw same Garage Squad episode as Stone and caught mention of accident w lifted car but missed detail specifying jack stands. Stands or not, that guy is darn lucky to be alive. Similarly, a year or so ago Velocity aired an episode of Fantomworks I decided to watch... IMNSHO Mark from GYC is marginally (ok, a bit more than marginally) less appealing to watch than Drama Dan.

Anyhow, Drama Dan & co prepped a car (Mustang resto-mod of some sort as I recall) for SEMA. Upon show floor arrival something happened to one of the coilovers. Their panties were all bunched trying to find someone w a jack (really at a car show? ) so they could fix issue. Next scene shows Dan clearly crawling under car only jack supported. Couldn't believe my eyes. Thought he was redeeming himself when he started saying how dangerous it was to work on a car like that... but then pissed all away by relating danger only to state of spring vis-a-vis coilover and not fact car was only being jack supported. Really surprised Velocity aired that portion...

In any event, please ALL be extra careful working under a raised car. Double and triple check it's solid, not just jack supported w/ at least one additional failsafe back up... two are evenbetter.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 11-06-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: * removed the double negative...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote