View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
AZ986S

Here is the data comparing the NAPA 1042 filter with the Canton Racing Billet style oil filter, older style with Hex bolt on the bottom. The whole idea behind a racing filter is more flow and less restriction (pressure drop), sometimes at the expense of filter particle size efficiency.

For the NAPA 1042, the data was taken in March 2018 at AMP.
For the Canton Racing, the data was taken just las week October 2018.
Both clockwise. Air temps about the same.
In both cases, I only considered the data for the last 2 laps of the session so as to have engine temp as steady and high as possible, and also only considered the Accusump Air Side Pressure as being the equivalent of the Post Oil Filter pressure when it was oiling (valve open). The NAPA 1042 is rated at 21 microns and 9-11 GPM, and the Canton Racing filter element is rated at 8 microns and 15 GPM.

I was surprised to see that the NAPA 1042 filter did somewhat of a better job, and about the same for the Pressure Delta across the filter. It then dawned on me that the 1042 has an anti-drainback valve whereas the Canton does not. This is important and can affect the effectiveness of the Accusump by eliminating the oil back flow when the Accusump is oiling. This also could explain the higher pressure values and lower standard deviations for the 1042.

What's interesting also is the negative pressure delta across the oil filter. But after giving it some thought, I believe that makes sense since that would happen when the Accusump is oiling initially when the Pump pressure is low from the sudden lateral G load.

This does not mean the Canton Racing filter is no good. It just means that for my set-up, it does not work better than the NAPA 1042 (at least from the limited data).
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 10-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote