View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
steved0x

I had toyed at one time with the idea of running an accusump with no valve, and having it open all the time. Since I run my oil a little bit low, at times when I was idle and all the oil was out of the accusump, I would be a tiny bit high but I figured that would be OK at idle. I would lose the ability to pre-oil the engine before startup, but since I don't have that capability now anyway, that wouldn't be a loss. My thoughts were:

2 QT Accusump
Set the air pressure to something high, like 50 PSI
I had a formula in a spreadsheet (that I think I have lost) where I could play with the base air pressure and the running oil pressure and it would show me how much oil was stored at that pressure

Then when driving, there would always be an available quantity of pressurized oil, with a min pressure of 50 (or whatever I set to be the min, and at that pressure all the oil would be out of the accusump) that would be available to stabilize the pressure in the event of dips.

I had forgotten that my fuel filter was in the tunnel so I can't put the Accusump there and so the idea fizzled... And maybe it would have fit anyway since I was going to use a 2 qt unit and no valve?

Looking at the real time data in the video above, the 60 PSI air pressure in the accusump, tells me that the oil pressure on the exit side of the accusump was only getting up to 60. So I would plug 50 into my spreadsheet as the base pressure, and then 60 as the running pressure, and it would tell me how much oil would be in the accusump, pressurized at 50 or above, to be available.

Maybe I decided this was useless and so that is another reason why it fizzled

The plus side of this system is that it is fire and forget, no switches to turn on or off, or manual valves to turn on or off.

The minus side is that it wouldn't hold tons of oil and might not be good for really long sweepers if there were long dips. And there is no pre-oil capability.

Looking at how the accusump works in the video, I might revisit it, if I can find my spreadsheet, I'm not sure if I have the energy to recreate the formulas for volume, pressure, etc.. that I used.

Since I don't think anybody else runs it like this, they may have already done the work of figuring it wasn't a good idea
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote