View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Doug427

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
you never mentioned the mileage on this engine, but if you have chain rattle, I will assume you are approaching 100K. IMHO, and Hoffman might agree, simply fixing the cracked head and having the heads rebuilt still leaves you with an engine prone to failure. Hoffman discouraged me from just fixing the heads.
i wrestled with the decision on my 2000 S with intermix and just replaced the car. Painful but I ended up with a better car and never looked back. I got a little money out of the old one as well.
I think once I started driving my first 986S, i wasn't going to give it up.
Replacing the car is always an option, and I have thought of that as well. Problem is it's just not worth much at all with intermix. Car has 106K miles on it, it's only worth about +/- $8K with a good engine. With a bad one, it's likely not even half. I hate to just pack it in and throw away all the $ I have spent on it so far. It's not just the money, either - I feel like I've given up if I do that and I hate to do that. I bought this car very cheaply, but have put lots of money and work into it to get it where it is now. Tough to just pack it in at this point. I may end up doing that, but I really don't want to.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote