View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
z12358

"How many mile did you have on your car before this first DE event? What helmet did you purchase?"

3000 miles before. 3200 after. I used a loaner helmet from the club. Tried a few in the store at the track and probably will go with a basic G-force for around $200. I had a problem with all of them when trying to put my sunglases with the helmet on. The loaner was the easiest in that regard but still awkward. Don't these helmet designers expect people to wear sunglasses while driving? Weird.

I am still not sure if it makes sense to use my new car for these events or I should buy another (older) car just for the track. I spoke with a few people who had bought new Boxsters and 911's 4-5 years ago and started doing DE with them then. Now they have 5 year old cars with mods for the track and they're quite happy with them. I also saw quite a lot of cars on the track (relatively new) that were much more valuable than mine. Mine was probably in the median of the whole universe yesterday.

On one hand an older car would probably be more economical and less financially risky (in terms of damaging it) but on the other hand a new car would have more safety features (e.g. PSM) and would be safer to me in general in terms of things failing while on the track. Moreover, a new car is under waranty so anything that breaks would be fixed under it. Still mulling this one over. No matter how you turn it, it seems that this is one very expensive hobby -- if you really start getting involved. This season is finishing anyway so I will have until next year to make a decision. I don't know where I would fit one more Porsche as I don't even have my own garage for the one I own (renting a garage for it).

Looks like I'm hooked though.