View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #1100
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Karting control movements and techniques are shall we say are manic compared to sports cars.....for me anyway.
Yeah, everything in a kart feels magnified - very small inputs yield large responses. This has taught me to be smoother with my inputs and improve my sensitivity to the minute changes in balance that result.

For example, now I can feel as soon as the tires are starting to slide a bit and instinctively dial out just a tad less steering angle to gain back full grip (rather than let it build into a full slide). This means that I avoid big slides because I catch them as soon as they start and this helps to keep up my speed and momentum because I don't have to let off the throttle or scrub a bunch of speed to deal with the tires sliding. Smooth is fast and smoother is faster.

Another thing that I've worked hard on is racing behind another car. I used to focus a lot on the car ahead which basically meant that i was driving reactively based on what the car ahead was doing. Now I am able to look ahead and around the car ahead (while still keeping track of the car directly ahead) which allows me to proactively drive my line and hit my marks cleanly. In the kart, this let's me go faster and creates better passing opportunities.

I hope that these and several other skills that I have worked on in the kart, will ultimately transfer to the car.

Time will tell...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-27-2018 at 12:00 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote