View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
Perfectlap

I don't know about the 260 HP/Torque Forced induction Saturn yet, but as far as the S2000 its every bit the sports car of the 987 (987S different story).
There are absolutely no deficiencies in the S2000 when going up against the 986S/987 at the track or Autocross. I've seen the S2000 dozens of times take the same corners and turns as the Boxster and its in every way its equal. Maybe not an EXACT equal but they definitely live on the same block even though their price tags put them in completely different 'real estate markets'.
Now as far as prestiege and styling that's completely unrelated to performance.

If they made a supercharged S2000 or one with a bigger "motorcycle engine" (like so many spec racers) then the S2000 would be hard to beat.
Personally I didn't like the S2000 seating position vs. my Boxster with GT3 seats (no contest) but if not for that I might not have made my way into a Boxster.
Ar 9,000 RPMS and the best gear box on the planet (bar none) the Japanese have figured out how to mass produce a car that is all performance at low cost.
just wish they made it look more like a Ferrari and less like a import racer.

also, if they make a Miata or MR2 with 220 range HP(stock naturally aspirated) then I wouldn't be surprised to see forced induction versions surpassing the 987 and S2000. What I'm saying is that for $50K there are allot of ways to get a EXCELLENT handling/accelerating roadster for daily driving.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote