View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
phook

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I know you said not interested in a 3.2 but fact is you get better brakes as well as a bit more HP and a 6 speed as a starting point. Just to add reminder why the cars are going for more. Also will hold higher resale value in the long run.

You mentioned rather have a 996 over a 3.2 you maybe should reevaluate what you really want or need before investing. You wouldn’t want to get into a older Boxster then realize you really wanted a 996 which are at decent price point.
I've thought about it and wouldn't mind a 3.2 if the price is right and the IMS has been done. I'm trying to keep the budget around $10-11K since I will be autocrossing and tracking the car. So I'm trying to either find a 986 with the IMS done or low enough in price where I can just get it done.

Most 3.2 I found with IMS done sits in the $12-18K range. A 3.2 without IMS done are all around $10K so it would come out to about $13-14k+ with preventative maintenance taken care of. I did find a 3.2 with IMS done for about $11.5k, but it's about 300 miles away from me. I would certainly love the drive back, but just trying to figure out if I want to spend the extra money on it.

I have found a few 996 with IMS done at around $17-20K but it would be almost twice my budget. If I was going to spend about $15-16k on a Boxster, I feel that I could either save a bit more or take a loan and get the 996.

A 911 is definitely the end goal in terms of vehicle ownership, but I can be patient on that front. I test drove a 2000 986 with IMS done for about $10K. I think the 2.7 is a feels adequate. It's going to be a weekend only car since I have a company vehicle w/ gas paid for; saving gas with the 6th gear isn't an issue to me. As far as brakes go, I think some good fluid + track pads should be sufficient for my performance level - which is basically a complete beginner on track.
phook is offline   Reply With Quote