View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I don't think think Caymans are/will be cutting into the Boxster sales. I think Boxster pricing is cutting into the Boxster sales. Its way too much moolah for the car, most don't complain because someone with the resources to pay that much for a car isn't hurting financialy thus aren't complaining about its price. But for most non-enthusiasts there are more value oriented options with equal performance. Also its not a dramtically better car than the 986/S and with so many coming into 2nd hand sales markets people aren't obligated to buy a brand spankin new Boxster to get the Boxster experience. The glut of Boxsters coming off leases is depressing the values of the 986 and taking off from 987 sales.
More than a few people on this board have said "should I get a good deal on on 987 or buy a very low mileage 986S". Lots of inventory to make that call nowadays.

Now as for the 911 being hurt by the Cayman thats no surpise at all.
Give ENTHUSIASTS the choice between mid and rear engine and they think
long and hard about forking over more cash for less handling?
ENTHUSIASTS are not posers looking for "a 911" (not that all/most 911 owners are posers) but we knew Porsche was weary of unleashing a mid engine excellent handling coupe because it would make the 911 look over rated. They threw in a tall 1st gear into the Cayman too deliberately slow it down in the 0-60 magazine articles. The economy and market will eventually catch up to all car companies looking to invent their own realities.

p.s.
a 2nd hand Cayman will have FANTASTIC resale value when the 2nd owner sells. Bullet proof.
Hi,

You've made some excellent points...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote