View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
PCNA is including Cayman & Cayman S sales in its press releases as Boxster Model Series sales.

Cayman line acconted for 53 % of "Boxster Model Series" sales in July 06 and an astounding 68% in Aug 06.

Boxster production slots have been cut sharply for Cayman.
August numbers may be skewed due to 06 Model Year end for Boxster?
Are there large numbers of 06 Boxsters on dealers lots now?If so , it may be time for lurkers to get their huge discounts to MSRP.

Sales numbers for Sep -Nov will be interesting.
Will model year 2007 , with increased HP (and MSRP) attract buyers and how will buyers choose between coupe and droptop as winter approaches?

Will Cayman still have strong demand or will novelty wear off?

While Jim may be right that this does not bode well for Boxster down the line , increasing sales and per unit profit sounds like a good business model.
Hi,

While I agree with your business model, I don't see where the stats you quote indicate such is the case. Nor does it indicate an overall increase in Unit sales, only the incursion the Cayman is making into Boxster sales (which were declining to begin with).

The Cayenne is an anomoly, riding the crest of the SUV craze. But, this wave can end up crashing on the beach. SUV's were attractive to Manufacturers because they initially didn't have to meet safety and CAFE regulations, increasing Unit profit, but they're not the panacea they once were. And, the competition in that segment has erroded Unit profit. All it will take is a public shift and they'll disappear. Does the reemergence of what we used to call Stationwagons signal this is already starting to occur? I don't know, but perhaps. Props to Porsche for sighting and exploiting an opening in this niche, but for how long?

Will people forego the '06 models in favor of the more powerful '07s? Maybe, but again, isn't that also akin to stabbing one's own foot?

The future in Stuttgart is going to be interesting. Porsche hopefully has a Master Plan aside from merely placating their shareholders short term. If they have a longterm vision, it's difficult to define it or predict whether it's a correct one...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote