View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
jvfante
Santa Barbara, CA

Autozone rents a free strut/suspension tool kit with the correct size round dies (3" and slightly larger than 3") to use with a small press to RnR the motor mount bushing.

These worked perfectly. The dies in the kit look like big sockets and are hardened steel. One fits the inside of the opening and the other holds the bracket on the edge of the mount. One was 3" OD and the other was slightly larger.

My press is the cheapie 6 ton HF unit, around $70, had a ridiculously short throw, so I modified it with 1.25 x 1.25 x .125" Angle iron cut to 10" lengths. I used one of the supplied legs of the press as a hole template.

It took longer to mod the press than to replace the bushing.

I did notice that on my '98 the original bushing was slightly different in shape with the new one, so take care to get it's hole orientation the right way round. I only have a photo of the old one. Mine had what appeared to be a line up mark in the casting which seems to have been correct.

With the new mount in the car, the clutch shuttering at take off in 1st gear is now gone and she shifts beautifully. Whew, I don't need a clutch! Not yet anyway.

Hope that helps.

jvfante is offline   Reply With Quote