View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
crzn427

I can remember riding home in my Dad's new '67 Cougar in the fall of '66. It came equiped with a 390, 4 bbl, 4 spd, AM only radio, no P/S, no P/B, no A/C.

I bought it from my Mother when Dad died. It never fails to put a smile on my face when I drive it. It has a smooth ride, is quiet inside at highway speeds, handles better that most Muscle cars of the era, and is very quick.

I can, and do, perform the maintainance needed to keep it on the road for around 20% of what the boxster costs.

It gets around 17 on the highway, I don't bother to check city mileage, polutes more than it should, has those aforementioned hydrocarbon smells from time to time inside, has poor performing drum brakes all around (one of my soon to happen up-grades), needs a paint job and some other TLC.

It will be in the driveway when the Boxster gets replaced with our next "modern" car.

It has style, it has charm and it has grace. It is a nasty beast when provoked and I love it.

The Boxster has a whole set of values, attributes and acolades that are totally different and every bit as enjoyable.

The only thing the two have in common (other than four wheels and a drive train) is the joy to drive them as often as possible.
crzn427 is offline   Reply With Quote