View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
so I needlessly pissed-away a half-day of fun?
No, because in my opinion sending that oil through the intake like that is bad. In some cases (heard about them but never saw it for myself) too much oil can "hydrolock" the cylinder and blow the engine, since fluid can't compress. So it was probably a good idea to stop.

A friend has a tiptronic Boxster and at Roebling when he goes through turn 9 in 3rd gear (same place and gear that it happened to me) he gets the smoke bomb + flashing CEL whent he car shifts to 4th. I told him to go to 4th before turn 9 and it solved it for him.

I personally run a few bars down from full on the digital dash gauge. I experimented recently with going back to the full line (but not over like I was that first track day) and while I never blew a smoke bomb except that first time, I did seem to use more oil when running right at the top. Folks that have put a catch catch and running the oil at the top have reported that almost immediately they get some in the catch can, and then it stops once the oil level drops a little. A big caveat, I also run a 2 QT deep sump so even with running the oil a little "low" I still have over 1.5 quarts more than the default.

I've probably got 10 smoke bombs from other Boxsters and Caymans collected in my videos, it would probably take forever but I should make a smoke bomb compilation...

Here's a thread with 3 huge smoke bombs, all from the same Cayman:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65214-aos-smoke-bombs-spins-new-fast-lap-roebling-one-second-faster.html

I've got another video somewhere of a yellow Boxster blowing a smoke bomb at Sebring. It was behind me, so maybe I didn't have my rear camera back then.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote