View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I get that the auto deployment and the function and its is there for a reason to add traction, but they also added a manual deployment button for a reason.

Deployment speed is 72Mph and retract is 55 Mph, so that means you might need it or you might not in that range to get more traction.

My question is pointed at that specific speed range on a curvy road. If you are going from between 35 Mph to 85 Mph and hitting a curve a 55 ect.. the in between range I would think just deploying the wing would help keep you planted. At a lower speed I could not see it making you unstable.

So I will mark you in the No leave it in auto mode column.

My theory is that if you are driving more aggressive then you should just deploy the wing manually to have the benefits of the extra down force in the curves. Normal driving with wife and busy street leave it in auto mode to stabilize at high speed.

I am really interested in hearing from the track guys and their opinion.
I am a track guy and, politely, you missed the answer entirely. BTW most AX courses, below extreme expert level, rarely if ever see speeds in excess of ~ 60MPH and even then only in very short bursts. So, AX is likely slower than a continuous curvy road you're driving. Nor did I suggest deploying below 55MPH or at slow speeds would make the vehicle unstable.

Simply this is a matter of physics. There's a world of difference b/w driving 35MPH vs 85MPH; at 35MPH, the rear spoiler, due to LACK of air flow/volume, will provide ZERO benefit. Where as being fully deployed at 85MPH would start to provide some benefit. But, and it's been greatly debated countless times, is said benefit spoiling of the airflow or using the airflow to increase downforce? They are NOT the same

Anecdotally, I once had a 997 C2S with front aerokit but not accompanying rear aerokit/wing. Porsche advised the rear aerokit wing was necessary for stability purposes, but I ignored their 'requirement'. Everything was fine, stability-wise, on the vehicle at speeds up to ~ 125MPH. Up from there the back end would get wiggly... not so noticeable on an incline where the g-forces are compressing the car into the pavement. However, a fast downhill like the back straight of Mid-Ohio got 'exciting' on more than a few occasions...

Regardless, correct, I'm in the No leave it in auto-mode column. But if you feel deploying provides benefit then by all means deploy the spoiler when and wherever you feel it will help as having confidence in your equipment does aid you in being a better driver.

I'd be curious to know the answer to this if you can loop back after testing:
If you manually deploy then exceed 72MPH and subsequently reduce speed back below 55MPH, will the spoiler automatically retract?

Good luck