View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There are multiple sources of oil leaks on a Boxster and oil has an uncanny ability to leak in one place, run down, and then drip from somewhere else entirely.

The best way to find where the oil is coming from is to clean it up and then inspect it daily until you find the exact source.

It is possible that oil is leaking from the cam covers but don't assume that this is true unless you know for sure. Two mechanics told me that the cam covers on my Boxster were leaking and it would cost $1400 to repair. After cleaning up the engine and inspecting it carefully, I found that the leak was actually caused by the spark plug tubes - which I replaced myself for about $60.
I have only seen a few places I have seen Boxsters leak oil, RMS, Spark plug tubes, and cam plugs -- but those generally only if the valve covers have been removed and too much sealant used which gums up the oil galley and forces oil to find its way past the cam plugs. Lastly, the fill tube sometimes cracks.

Others may have observed different sources, but that's where I would look first.

Last edited by seningen; 06-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote