View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 02:57 AM   #1
brainles71

Post Replacing a 97 Boxster lock actuator with VW parts (with comparison Pics)

MAKE SURE YOU TEST THIS REPAIR WITH THE DOOR OPEN

So I just bought my first Porsche and i'm very happy with my purchase but it didn't lock. Fuel cap would try to lock itself but no movement, noise or vibrations from the driver and passenger door locks. (double beep included free)

I had a look around on here and a few people have mentioned Audi/VW but couldn't find a specific part number so i bought a genuine right side lock actuator from Porsche and went to work. With a bit of help from my younger brother I was able to get the door panel off and get into the door and started rooting around inside.

Context: Brother is a qualified Volkswagen mechanic

At this point I hadn't shown him the lock and when i pulled it out he said "that looks like a VW unit"

You can even see the vw stamp on the Original 1997 actuator in the below photos

After a lot of searching, I figured out that the 1998 VW Polo shares a lock actuator with the 1997 Porsche Boxster. I bought and installed the passenger door lock actuator (which would work in left hand drive countries) and now my car locks successfully

I saved myself about $100 buying the part from VW. If you want the right side door code i would call up and give them the below code and ask for the other side.

This part will work with RHD or LHD cars and is plug in and play so you don't need to use a computer to complete the repair.

VW PART #6X2837013H (legacy #3B2837015A)

Other things you may want to replace at the same time include:
  • Door card/trim clip - 99950758240 (white) or 99950750540 (grey) ($1.70 each x 8 needed per door) (likely to break on a 20 year old car)
  • Outer door handle lock pin - 99653744502 ($8 x 1 per door)
  • Inner door release bowden cable 99653732003 ($15 x 1 per door)
  • Door film ($130 x 1 per door) This is fragile and will likely rip if you aren't careful
  • Bonus points if you clean the 20 years of dirt and grim around the door handle seal and on the bottom of the window at the same time

How to from Pelican parts here

Last edited by brainles71; 06-09-2018 at 04:17 AM. Reason: speeling
brainles71 is offline   Reply With Quote