View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
ShortRound

ShortRounds 2004 Silver Boxster

Hello All,

After a very short search and very little agonizing, today I picked up this immaculate 2004.

After plating it I took it for a drive. Firstly, Toronto is not a place for driving a car like this, unless you like driving very slowly in bumper to bumper traffic. After 45 minutes I finally made it out of the area and got on to the highway, and was able to give it a bit of beans.

Note that my other fun car is a slightly modded e30 318is, which i always refer back to as my benchmark for what a fun car should be.

Power:
More than adequate to haul my portly backside to indecent speeds. It's quick enough for my tastes and with the Fabspeed exhaust makes some wonderful sounds. I found myself downshifting so I could hear the exhaust turn money into sound.
Could it use a bit more power? I'm sure a little more wouldn't hurt, but around here there really is no place to use it.
It handily beats the e30's 139hp.

Steering/Handling:
The car feels planted and corners nicely, but the steering feels heavier than my e30 with reduced ratio steering rack. The e30 is also lighter so there is that. But I would prefer my steering twitchier and lighter feeling.
The suspension is a bit softer than the e30 which is nice. The e30 is bone jarring in the city but great on twisties and highway. Handling is a split between the e30 and Boxster. Steering I have to give to the e30.

Brakes: This car has upgraded S brakes I am told. I haven't had a chance to mash on the them to test them out fully. Until then the e30 with ABS has the edge.

Styling:
I love my 80's boxy BMW but the Boxster is just sexier looking. It's a design that has aged well. Like that girl that has matured into a perfectly serviceable Cougar, with a bit of meat and some fine curves.
It's an old car and while there are certainly newer and more exclusive cars on the road, it still gets looks.

This isn't a car to drive with the top up. It should only be driven top up if it's raining, or you drive into a cloud of Locusts. I find the top adds too many distracting noises and reduces visibility.
Overall I was pleased with the experience so far but I need more seat time and better driving conditions to firm up my opinion. What little time I had today, I enjoyed immensely and can't wait for tomorrow to get back into the seat.
Any one up for Timmies?

Last edited by ShortRound; 05-31-2018 at 07:11 PM.
ShortRound is offline   Reply With Quote