View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #16
TNT79Bronco
More of a truck guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Just a clarification when it comes to "compatibility". What Woody is talking about is if you just want to get a car running, not have remote functionality, etc. The connectors are the same and the pinout are close enough that it will start and windows and locks should work.

If you want the cheapest way to get a car with a key or two working properly, buy a good used immo/alarm module of the same part number and get the data transferred from your damaged module to the replacement. Then everything will work as original and your car will still be the same VIN as far as electronics are concerned if you need to program the DME, add keys, etc.

So, just know that if you swap the DME, immo/alarm and keys, as far as Porsche's database is concerned, you have changed the car's identity from your car to that of the VIN of the car you got the modules from. Some people don't care, some do. I know firsthand that if someone buys a car that this was done on, and tries to add a key or remote they will get quite angry when they find out what it will take to get things straightened out again. The guy wanted it "right" so he had to buy a new lock set, immo/alarm and new remotes and pay to have it all installed and programmed. Note that was a 911 C4 Cab, but the parts, prices and procedures are all the same.
Yep. 100000% understand. If I (or anyone else wants) to do it right, all it takes is $1,050 to ECU doctors. They can make it “right”. Much, much, MUCh cheaper than the dealerships.

I wasn’t sure if the car even ran. If it didn’t, I could sell the setup on EBay or classifieds, for what I paid. If I paid ECU Doctors the $$, I had a good setup, for a broken car.

This way, I am running, with 3 keys and could care less about the remotes opening a convertible. Lol.
TNT79Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote