Thread: 1998 Boxster
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
Brian in Tucson

What does she think of it? Gonna be her car afterall. She's the one it's going to have to please.

Retirement cars need to be fun, but also super reliable. She won't have fun if it needs to be towed to a shop for expensive repairs. It needs to be cross country road trip safe and reliable.

Get a PPI, get a good one. Not as a negotiating ploy but to satisfy her that the car is not going to leave her by the side of the road.

I'm gonna share a little secret about 1998 Porsches, they have a little under powered motor. Handle like a dream but take their time getting there. I say this because, as it's a "getting senior" woman's car it won't lose any enjoyment with an automatic transmission but will save strain on sore knees and sore shoulders and elbows. Mine is an 01 base, I live in a moderately big western city, with lots of stop lights that are always red, I'd rather have my Tiptronic than a 5 or 6 speed. More enjoyable.

Also, she might be happier with a Miata (you can get her an almost new one for $12k.) Or, even a Prius. My other car is a Prius, for a travelin' or city car it's beyond belief. The Prius's are all automatics, have way more power than most people think, & get great mileage.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote