View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 AM   #11
coreseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Until last Saturday, the only Porsches I have driven were my fathers 914 (when I was a teenager) and my Boxster S.
So Saturday I had a rare opportunity to drive a 993, with only 30k miles on it. Not far or long, maybe 10 minutes.
You can feel the weight out back. In that short time I just couldn't get the hang of it's clutch. Much lighter than my Boxster's, more of an Off/On and released farther out (Mine is about half way)
I felt I didn't drive it very well therefore not getting a full appreciation of it

The owner did encourage me to get on it and I did a few pulls but my shifting was a bit embarrassing and clumsy, in my eyes

But what I did take away from that short drive was a new appreciation for my Boxster. My 3.2 really does pull well, especially having 100k miles
My shifter feels more precise. The 993, for me, was somewhat vague.
The Boxster also doesn't feel as cramped, side to side.

Would I turn down another chance, Hell no
Would I like to own one, sure would

I moved from a 986 S to a 993 several years back, your impressions above are spot on. I agree that the bottom hinge mounted clutch and brake pedals are very different and take quite a bit of getting used to, until you do you look rather clumsy.

Totally different cars made using totally different manufacturing techniques, both are fun and more than competent in their own ways..........
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote